This is my space of freedom.... my own private island, if you will.... you either like it or you don't....

Thursday 23 June 2011

Let me check my appointment book.... SORRY, ALL BOOKED UP!

It’s June already. My! Does time fly! Besides the end of term 3 and the stress of having 5 exams a day after each other for the whole of next week, I have quite an eventful two months coming up.

Firstly, my baby brother arrives from boarding school tomorrow morning, at the bus terminal in Cape Town. I will be giving up sleeping in late to accompany my mother to fetch him. Since it’s school holidays, he’s coming home for three weeks so I can expect loud music invading my private space, a dirty bathroom with clothes and wet towels all over the floor and a pubescent-annoying sense of humour. Although I have become an ‘only child’ and I have half of the house to myself during the school and college terms (as well as having everything neat and clean), I am looking forward to fighting with him over the bathroom and chirping him for not picking up after himself. Being the oldest and one of three siblings, you learn to appreciate these encounters once your brother and sister have been shipped off, eight hours away.

Secondly, exams. I should be studying right now, but after sitting for the entire day at my desk, summarizing the history of journalism, I have no ‘skaam’ if I can put it that way. (Besides I am feeling awfully creative at the moment and I can’t resist the urge to sit here and type random shit). Although I have spent the last week revising and summarizing, I don’t feel awfully prepared, so I’m praying to sweet baby Jesus that I do relatively ok in these exams. I’m just hoping to get through next week so my holiday trip will hurry up, which brings me to my third point....

Thirdly, my mother is sending me off to Grahamstown to visit my baby sister. Being a drama student, she is required to take part in a few productions during the Arts Festival (which I will be watching and supporting from the sidelines). Besides her stage debuts, she has organised an amazing itinerary. From trance parties in underground tunnels, to music gigs at the alternative bars, to cougar nights at a night club to other productions, I am some-what ecstatic and can’t wait to leave. I am also excited to spend some quality joling time with her, on her turf.  Embarrassingly, this will be my second time I’ve been on a plane since I was 5, I think? So excuse me for the excitement I show towards that too. I have a feeling I’m not going to get much sleep for a week, but I am strangely looking forward to it. I have also decided I will be doing a day-to-day blog of my experience at Rhodes, adding photos and a description of the day’s events. Another little project to inspire me and force me to blog.

I forgot to add between my exams and G-Town, that tomorrow night is our ‘staff’ party or end-of-term class party to be anal. Punch and pizza – the first time us college peeps will be able to relax and drink together, without the general topic of conversation revolving around difficult assignments or complaints we all share. Looking forward to that too!

Fourthly, my dearest father has arrived from Saudi Arabia for the next month or so. He will be here for my birthday next week and it will be the first time since Grade 2, so I’m really chuffed.

My birthday. The tender age of 22. Nothing special. I will admit that I feel old, I was 18 the other day and now I’m nearly 30. The anti-climax after your 21st and the realisation that adult life is here to stay, there’s no excuse to live like a teenager, even if you are still at college.

Fifthly, I’m doing my Driver’s License next month. I don’t have nerves, maybe there is something wrong with me or maybe they will surface when the time comes, but I have confidence that I just might pass. Having aced the parking section and being a confident but cautious driver, I see no reason why I shouldn’t pass, so I am eagerly anticipating the day I can say I am allowed on the roads, whether that is safe or a good thing or not. My first crash will let me know just how bad a driver I am. They say you are in more danger once you’ve received your license and you’re left to your own devices. I suppose we will see.

Sixthly, my sister is coming back home with me after the festival, for the duration of the holidays. We really haven’t planned anything further than my trip to her, but I’m looking forward to arguing and chirping with her, or watching movies in our pyjamas. I’ve promised her and my guy friends that I will introduce them which calls for a Gandalf’s mission at some stage, should be something to write home about, in the end.

So, I’m hoping to get through this next week in one piece. If the exams don’t kill me, then the freezing and unforgiving weather I endure on my way to college, will. Either or I hope to at least make it until next week so everything can start coming my way.


No comments:

Post a Comment