This is my space of freedom.... my own private island, if you will.... you either like it or you don't....

Friday 20 May 2011

Tribute: Friends for life

Friends. They come and go throughout one’s lifetime. As early as pre-school to as late as old age. You meet new people, you bond with them and it can take an instant or a situation for you to realise that that other person is not someone you should consider any further. Sadly, it happens a lot but when you meet someone who you can go through the shit with and fight and make up, you know they are one of the few.

All the way through pre-school, primary and high school, I had friends. Not good friends though. The types of friends you would sit with at break and maybe do something with on the weekend, not the friends you could call in the middle of night if you’re in tears and you’ve just broken up with your boyfriend. Wait, I lie. After finishing the previous sentence, I realised I did have one friend like that in high school. Alan. He was my first proper guy friend and although he is overseas now and we rarely chat, the two of us will probably remain friends for life. Alan, with his sarcastic sense of humour was there for me in every possible way. When I went through a personal rough patch, he was there. When my mom finally got her own house, he and Marc (my other good guy friend) offered to help her move, out of their own free time. She still goes on about Alan and he goes on about her (He decided my mother needed to feel special and he used to go on with her, telling her she was hot for a mother, this made her feel good and she smiles every time she hears his name, nowadays.) Unfortunately, I left high school and Alan behind, I know he was extremely hurt (he probably won’t admit to this) but I hated every minute of it. As guys are, their way of reacting was being off to me and tuning me. At the time, I didn’t understand it, but I look back now and I completely understand. Our friendship faded, he started dating his current girlfriend and I went on to get a job, get my matric etc. We talk every now and then and he’s moving back down here in December, so I’m looking forward to catching up for old times sakes. (Alan is probably the only person I would trust with my life, he always babysat me, even if he was more paraletic than me and no guy was good enough for me.) Thank you Alan, miss you boet!

My first best girl friend was Jess. Although she hated me in high school (I have no idea why and neither does she), we have become as tight as a pair of emo skinny jeans. The first words she ever said to me were: “Your voice is so annoying. It sounds like nails down a chalkboard.”. Well, fast forward two years and we were inseparable. We did everything together and if one was out partying, you’d be able to bet money that the other was there too (and win, of course). We stuck together through false (other) friends, damaging relationships and personal demons. As any good friends, we went through a rough patch and didn’t talk for a period of time. Jess decided to move to Durbanville to stay with her mom. We eventually reunited and we remain extremely close today, even if it’s over Facebook and Mxit. She has come to visit me numerous times, knowing I can’t get to her, an hour away. Thank you babe, it means more than you know, to me. Wait until I get a boyfriend (with a car), I will repay you ;) I am super proud of you, you’ve proved everyone wrong and you have the most amazing boyfriend who loves you. Miss you more than you know!

Tiffany. I met this chickita through Jess actually, whilst going out one night. In the beginning, she came across as a blonde Barbie doll, but she seemed cool and we carried on hanging out together.(I soon came to realise she was far from a Barbie and she is probably one of the most down to earth and awesome chicks I have ever met). When Jess moved away, Tiffster and I started hanging out more and we became really close. A year down the line, I ended up going into a relationship and abandoned her, slowly but surely. We drifted apart and there was awkwardness and tension. I was jealous of her because she was everything I wanted to be and she had everything I wanted. My boyfriend (at the time) was clearly into her, which aggravated the situation even more. We stopped talking and everyone went their own ways. When the ex and I broke up, Tiffany was one of the few people who remained my friend as well as a support structure. She took me out and tried to cheer me up. I soon realised I could confide in her and she could confide in me about everything, stuff no one else will ever know. We both realised that we could support each other and we have become the best of friends since then. I truly have utter respect for her, she hides nothing from me and she is honest. (My ex decided to make moves on her and she came to me straight away. Just the pure fact that she told me, shows me the type of person she is and I appreciate it so much). Even though we are both extremely busy with college and have our own personal lives, we still manage to have three to four hour chats regularly, supporting each other and giving each other advice, as well as just talking random shit. I trust her too, with everything I have. (We both joke that we can’t really repeat anything either of us has said, because we know too much shit about each other and the world will shake if anything is revealed).  She, along with Jess will be bridesmaids at my wedding and I hope to remain life long friends with her. You’ve been to the bottom of the deepest hole and you’ve come out in one piece. I am so proud of you! Thanks Tiffster for everything you have done for me, you’re one of my girls!

Faine. My personal therapist and my hero. This lady is everything I strive to be and more. Straight forward, mature, blunt, supportive and encouraging, she has also been there for me through my darkest days and her advice and suggestions have never failed me. (If I had an older sister, I’d want one like her.) I met Faine while working for her parents four years ago. In the beginning, she was extremely quiet and we never spoke. We soon began to warm up to each other and the rest was history. We’ve had some awesome times together and even though we hardly see each other, we chat regularly and she is the first person I will seek advice from. She knows what she wants and she knows what to do (in a general sense). You, too will be a bridesmaid and I know we will remain friends to the end. I’m extremely proud of you and I look up to you more and more every day.

Gio. I met Gio on the dating application on Facebook and when sending each other friend requests, we realised we had a mutual friend: Faine. After meeting each other for drinks a couple of times, I realised he was someone I wanted to be good friends with. He too, gives me the advice, support and enthusiasm I need when in a tough situation. Besides being in a band and sharing numerous interests with me (as well as us both being gingers), Gio is probably my best guy friend. I know I can phone him at anytime if I am in trouble and he will be there without questioning me. (Tonight for example, he wants to see me, the poor guy offered to drive all the way from Table View to come fetch me in Fish Hoek so I can go to Gandalfs with him. You don’t meet many people like him). Gio will be in my life through marriage, kids and hopefully not, divorce(s). He will be there if I need a date to a 70th or if I need a drink. He’ll even come with me to an ex’s wedding one day when I am 30, just to make it look like I am happy, without fail. He’s made way more effort than me and I promise to make it all up to him, when I eventually get my driver’s license. Every time we see each other, it’s always him coming through to my side. Thank you G, you are a legend! He’ll support me through everything and smile if my boyfriend happens to be a dick, just because he’s that type of person. No chick (in my books) will ever be good enough for you!

Jess (my cousin). You, my love are my family and one of my girls. Jess and I realised we were cousins (through one of those complicated family connections) and since then we have been joling and spending time together often. We both support each other and even though I may be more blunt and sometimes unintentionally hurtful towards her (because I care about her and I want the best for her), she never holds it against me and she let’s it go. I love you and you prove that blood is really thicker than water. She is always there for me and she too, is someone who will go out of her way to help me no matter what. Thank you for all the parties, the lifting, the babysitting and the support. Love you Louise!

Jamie. My beautiful older cousin who I have always looked up to and admired. You, pretty lady have been there for me too, through anything and everything. You’ve been through so much yourself, but you are just as beautiful inside as you are outside. I strive to be like you one day and I miss you terribly! I’m super proud of you and I love you so much!

Megan. My gorgeous and beautiful sister. Being the oldest, you hope to be able to set an example for your younger siblings, especially if you have a single-parent family. After all the f*ck ups and the wrong decisions I have made, I have seen my baby sister grow up into somebody who will get the extremely far in life one day. After everything we have been through together, the late night tearful sessions, the screaming matches and the drunk parties, my sister is somebody who makes me proud to know her. She is truly my best friend and I miss her terribly. Even though she is 8 hours away, our connection and bond is so deep . You mean the world to me and I love you. You never disappoint me! Love you Meggles!

Renee. You, too would be the ideal older sister, if I ever had one. Your advice and support has what has assisted me through everything in the last couple of years. You’re a kind-hearted and genuine person, and you deserve the best, which I believe you will get one day! You’ve been through it all and you remain standing, I look up to you and you are one of my role models. You have never put me down nor have you ever discouraged me. I truly appreciate it and although we hardly see each other, we are still the best of friends. Thank you, you’ve taught me so much!

I hope I haven’t forgot anyone, I don’t think so? The above people are the people I would do anything within my power for. They have been my mentors and my role models and I hope to be able to make them all proud one day. It really does show that although there is distance, friendship like these will never fade and to be able to know I have these people in my life, makes me look forward to the rest of my life and the unconquered ventures I will experience. I can never repay nor thank any of them enough, I hope to be able to achieve this completely one day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment